City of Florence Natural Gas Department
began operations in May of 1950. At this time,
all of the natural gas was transported across
O’Neal Bridge from a tap in Sheffield to serve
the 2,400 customers.
In 1983 the Gas Department acquired its first
tap off of a major pipeline in Lauderdale County
and built a pipeline from Oakland into Florence.
By 1998 we had our 5th tap and gate station
providing our system with one of the best
integrated gas supplies in the United States.
Today, with its high-pressure distribution
system, the City of Florence Natural Gas
Department also resells natural gas to 15,375